Bayou Manchac is an eighteen-mile waterway that forms the boundary between the parishes of East Baton Rouge and Ascension. Bayou Manchac was a vital link from the Mississippi River to the Amite River and on to the Gulf of Mexico.
French explorer Pierre LeMoyne (sieur d'Iberville) saw the tall cypress pole smeared with animal blood that he described on a map as "le baton rouge". He turned off the Mississippi River and onto what would later be called Bayou Manchac in 1699. He wrote about it that night while camping at what is now named Alligator Bayou. In 2009 Bayou Manchac officially became the state of Louisiana's second historic waterway. This waterway has been used by everyone from Native Americans and French explorers to nineteenth century steamboat captains and twentieth century loggers and fishermen.
Development along the banks of Bayou Manchac has increased from 7 camps in 1951 to more than 2000 now acording to the state Department of Transportation and Development. Here is one camp along Camp Road in Ascension Parish. The historic designation gives the state Department of Wildlife and fisheries some control over development on the Bayou.